Wednesday, September 1, 2010

God of the Most Wretched

When we think of God's creation, we think of fertile green hills, lazy blue skies, towering mountains, or perhaps even powerful lightning. One would seldom find a kindergarten Sunday School classroom painted with skyscrapers and row-houses, much less parking garages.

We kind of separate God's creation (Earth) and man's creation (urbanity) as good and evil. In some ways, maybe they are just that.

As I sit here in my apartment on the cockroach-eaten recliner I found in the basement, gazing out my window toward a land which was once a green expanse of flourishing trees and plants, my meditations are interrupted by an eight-story parking garage whose lights all too often keep me up late and wake me up early. Had this cement structure never been erected, I would quietly watch the residents on the hill enter and leave their homes. I would see the trains depart from and arrive at the station. I would notice the bridges which connect separate worlds....and the people who cross them, leaping from one life to the other. Instead, I see the silver Honda and platinum SAAB rest all day in second-story safety until they are taken back across the river at rush hour before the geographically-honest residents step upon their nocturnal streets.

But today, I returned to my meditations, noticing the cross-shaped pillar between the Honda and the SAAB. The pillar crucified my self-ignorance and brought to life my identity. My meditations now tell me that if I can see God in this, then I am richer than this bankrupt city.

Never has their been a better view than to see God in the most tyrannical artificial structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment